Last Updated: August 11, 2023
FREEDOM SOLAR’S PRIVACY COMMITMENT
Freedom Solar is strongly committed to protecting the privacy of its clients, customers, and partners, as well as those visiting, using, or viewing our Digital Products. This commitment also extends to those communicating with Freedom Solar through telephone calls, electronic mail, text messages, oral communication, and other ways of communicating.
- Personal Data: Also known as personally identifiable information (“PII”), this data can identify you or reasonably be used to identify you.
- Anonymous Data: This data does not identify you and cannot be reasonably used to identify you specifically.
- Aggregate Data: This data contains information collected from many people and is then combined into anonymous groupings or categories.
HOW FREEDOM SOLAR COLLECTS PERSONAL DATA AND THE PERSONAL DATA COLLECTED
When you interact with Freedom Solar and/or our Digital Products, request information from Freedom Solar, or enter a transaction with Freedom Solar relating to our products or services, Freedom Solar may collect information about you, including your Personal Data as follows:
- Online Forms: When you complete one of our online forms to request information about Freedom Solar’s products or services, or create an account on our Digital Products, we may collect your name, address or other property information, zip code, telephone number, and email address. We may also collect information sufficient to validate your identity as the party submitting the form, such as IP address, geographic location, information about your device and operating system, and a screenshot or screen recording of the form submission process.
- Interactions with Freedom Solar: When you contact Freedom Solar by telephone, electronic mail, or other electronic means, we collect identifiers and any other Personal Data you choose to provide (which may include, among other data, name, email address, and zip code).
- Telephone: When you contact Freedom Solar by telephone, we collect the number you are calling from, and we may also collect your name, address, email address, and information about your energy needs and usage (e.g., your utility bill(s)). If you are a business contact for a commercial client or prospect, we may also collect business personal information. We may record our calls for training and quality assurance purposes.
- In-person Contact: When an individual either employed by Freedom Solar or affiliated with Freedom Solar contacts you in-person, we collect information such as your name, address, zip code, telephone number, and email address.
- Social and Online Media: You may choose to interact with Freedom Solar on our active social media platforms and messaging features available through our Digital products, other websites, and digital services. In these interactions, Freedom Solar may collect identifiers such as your screen name, real name, and any information that you choose to provide, such as posts, comments, or feedback that you post or leave on pages, feeds, or inboxes belonging to Freedom Solar. There are areas of our Digital Products and social media platforms that are visible to other users or the public. We recommend that you do not post personal details to these areas of our Digital Products or social media platforms if you do not want such personal details shared with other third parties. YOU ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSS OF PRIVACY OR HARM RESULTING FROM YOUR VOLUNTARY DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION IN PUBLIC AREAS OR FORUMS.
- Trade Shows and Similar Events: Freedom Solar may collect personal or business contact information that you provide at trade shows or similar events, including through business card scans or drops. This allows Freedom Solar to contact you or transmit information about Freedom Solar to you.
- Testimonials: When you provide a testimonial to Freedom Solar for us to publish on our Digital Products or in marketing materials, we collect and may publish images of you, audio and/or video recordings, and identifiers that may include your name, address, zip code, telephone number, email address, and information about your experience with Freedom Solar products and services.
- Applications: When you sign up for, or use, a Freedom Solar application or service, we collect the Personal Data you provide to create a profile or account, generate a quote or estimate, provide payment information, or receive information about the performance of your system or other Freedom Solar products. This may include identifiers such as your name, address, zip code, telephone number, and email address, as well as the financial information you provided to us and information about your solar usage.
- Information About Your Solar Usage: When you purchase a solar system from Freedom Solar, you provide us with Personal Data about yourself and your household or give us access to information about the use of the solar system by your household. This information may include identifiers such as your name, location of the installation, energy produced by the system, energy utilized (energy demand), or the time of day when the energy is utilized. This data is incorporated into our monitoring system and used for various purposes, such as to monitor the performance or your system and to provide you services you have agreed to receive (e.g., system maintenance).
- Surveys: If you respond to surveys issued by Freedom Solar, we collect identifiers such as your email address, name, and any information you provide in response or relating to the survey. We may disclose information relating to the survey to third parties, we will do so in non-identifying, aggregated form. We may disclose your feedback about the performance of an independent dealer or installer to that independent dealer or installer in identified fashion.
- Financing: If you request information from us or one of our preferred lenders about securing financing for the purchase of products or services from us, we may, on behalf of such lenders, collect information such as your (and your co-borrower’s) name, address, information about products purchased, contact information, proof of identity, financial history, credit history, employment and income information, and utility bills. For more information regarding how lenders may use your Personal Data, please review their separate privacy policies and/or notices.
- Payments: When you make a payment to us, either directly or through one of our approved service providers, we collect information necessary to process the transaction and validate your identity. This may include identifiers such as your name, contact information, and, depending on the payment methodology, your payment card information (card number, security code, expiration date, or bank account information). When you use a Freedom Solar affiliated service provider to make a payment, your use of the service is subject to that service provider’s terms and conditions and privacy notice.
- Employment Opportunities: If you apply for employment with Freedom Solar, we may collect information such as your contact information, proof of identity and authorization to work, employment and education history, including information in a resume or CV, references or other information included in a voluntary background check or driving record search, and information about you contained in any related communications, including a cover letter.
HOW FREEDOM SOLAR USES THE PERSONAL DATA WE COLLECT
We may use the information we collect from you to support our business relationships, comply with legal and financial obligations, and to facilitate our legitimate business interests, including:
- To personalize users’ Digital Products browsing experience;
- To allow us to better serve you in responding to issues and inquiries;
- To provide you the information (including sales and marketing information), notifications, services, products, support, or transactions you request or that we believe may interest you;
- To market, sell, and deliver to you the products and services that you are interested in;
- To analyze and improve our Digital Products and the safety and security of our products and services to better serve you;
- To inform us as to how we may contact you;
- To communicate with you, including to provide you with information or schedule consultations about your transactions, products or services, to discuss, schedule or confirm maintenance on your solar system or process warranty claims, about marketing, promotional offers or surveys, and about product safety;
- To process transactions;
- To enforce our Digital Products terms and conditions in effect from time to time, legal obligations and rights, and contractual rights (e.g., the collection of debt);
- To monitor the performance of your solar system and provide you with maintenance or troubleshoot issues with your solar system;
- To analyze and improve the safety, and security of our products and services;
- In the event of a merger, sale, or other transfer event, transfer your Personal Data in our possession to the acquiring party;
- To comply with relevant legal and regulatory requirements;
- To contact you, including through phone calls, electronic mail, postal mail, and via text message;
- If you consent to text communications, to send you text messages you about products and services that we believe may be of interest to you;
- To provide your information to authorized contractors and other third parties so that they may directly contact you about work ancillary to your solar system;
To provide your information to certain non-profit or advocacy organizations with whom we have a relationship to keep you informed about opportunities to become active in support of solar in your community;
- To evaluate your job applications; and
- For any other purpose for which you consent.
HOW FREEDOM SOLAR STORES YOUR INFORMATION
Your information may be transferred to or stored on servers in any country where Freedom Solar and its affiliates conducts business, which may include outside of the United States. By using our Digital Products, products, or services, or otherwise providing information to us, you understand that information from or about you or your use of our products and services may be transferred to and/or stored in countries outside of your country of residence.
COOKIES AND OTHER AUTOMATED TECHNOLOGY
- Web Browsers: We gather non-identifying information from your computer and internet connection of the sort that web browsers, depending on their settings, may make available. That information includes your Internet Protocol (IP) address, operating system, browser type and version number, and the locations of the web pages you view right before arriving at, while navigating, and immediately after leaving, our Digital Products. Such collection helps provide information on traffic data and location data, date and time of access, frequency and other communication data, details of referring websites’ actions, and patterns.
- Web Beacons: We may use technology known as “web beacons” to collect web information, which is an object that is embedded in a webpage. It is usually invisible to you but allows site operators to check whether you have viewed a particular web page or email communication. We may place web beacons on pages of our Digital Products.
- Cross-Device Tracking: We may use data analytics companies, advertising networks, or social media companies, and features offered by data analytics services or the Facebook Pixel, to engage in “cross-device tracking,” which occurs when platforms, publishers, and advertising technology companies try to connect a consumer’s activity across smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, and other connected devices. The goal of cross-device tracking is to enable companies to link a consumer’s behavior across devices.
- Social Media Plug-Ins: We may use social media plug-ins on our Digital Products from companies like Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn to enable you to easily share information with others. We use the information collected from the plug-ins to learn about your interests and to help us better understand how to serve you. This information may include your preferences about how to contact you or further develop a business or professional relationship with you, your product or marketing preferences, and demographic data. The social media plug-ins may allow these companies to receive Personal Data about you and your visit to our Digital Products. When you visit our Digital Products, the operators of the social media plug-ins place cookies on your computer that enable them to recognize you on their websites after you have visited our Digital Products, or that enable them to add the information collected from your visit to our Digital Products with your prior activity on those websites. We do not control what information is collected by the social media plug-ins or the information practices adopted by those social media companies. For more information about social media plug-ins from social media websites, you should refer to those companies’ privacy and data sharing statements.
Freedom Solar may send periodic communications to our customers and prospective customer and respondents to surveys or other submission forms for the purpose of distributing information about our products and services, company news and updates, promotions, and other opportunities. By emailing email@example.com, you may opt-out of receiving such communications at any time.
We take reasonable precautions and implement appropriate security measures, internal policies, and procedures to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control. However, neither people nor security systems are foolproof. Therefore, while we use reasonable efforts to protect your information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. Any unauthorized access to or use of our Digital Products or information collected and maintained by our communications should be immediately brought to our attention by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THIRD PARTY DISCLOSURE
Except as disclosed herein, Freedom Solar does not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your Personal Data. However, your Personal Data may be shared with affiliates, agents, contractors, service providers, and trusted third parties that provide tools and other assistance for the operation and maintenance of our Digital Products and to support our products and services so long as they demonstrate commitment to the safekeeping of this information.
- We may provide non-personally identifiable visitor information to third parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
- We may share or transfer personal information if we enter a business transaction such as a merger, acquisition, reorganization, bankruptcy, or sale of some or all of our assets, or in preparation for any of these events in accordance with applicable laws.
- We may also share your Personal Data with third parties based on your consent.
- Third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions of your Personal Data.
Therefore, although we employ reasonable safety and security standards to protect your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your Personal Data or private communications will remain private.
Our Digital Products may contain links to other Internet sites. We encourage all our partners, contributors, and third parties to implement policies and practices that respect the privacy of our users. However, Freedom Solar is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites. Our policy only addresses the use and disclosure of Personal Data we collect from you. To the extent that you disclose your Personal Data to other parties, whether they are linked from our Digital Products, different rules may apply to their use or disclosure of the Personal Data you disclose to them. Because we do not control the privacy policies of third parties, you are subject to the privacy customs and policies of that third party. We encourage you to ask questions before you disclose your Personal Data to others.
YOUR RIGHTS TO YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Personal Data Rights. Generally. You may exercise on your behalf or on behalf of another for whom you are authorized the following personal data rights, subject to certain exemptions and limitations: the right to confirm whether we are in procession of your Personal Data; the right to correct inaccuracies in your Personal Data, taking into account the nature of the Personal Data, and the purpose for processing such information; the right to delete your Personal Data; the right to obtain a copy of your Personal Data in a portable and readily-usable format; and the right to opt-out of the processing of your Personal Data for the purpose of targeted marketing, sale of your information, or consumer profiling for lawful purposes, if applicable.
Applicable State Laws. Various jurisdictions within the United States have enacted privacy and data protection laws, rules, and regulations requiring certain disclosures and providing certain privacy rights regarding the personal information we collect, use, disclose, or share. Freedom Solar commits to follow all such laws, rules, and regulations to the extent they are applicable to our customers, business, or operations.
Dependent on your state of residence, you may have the following rights regarding your personal information:
- The right to know and access the personal information we collect, use, disclose, or share;
- The right to obtain a copy of the personal information in a portable format;
- The right to correct inaccuracies in the personal information;
- The right to request deletion of the personal information, subject to exceptions;
- The right to opt-out of the sharing of the personal information;
- The right to limit the use or disclosure of sensitive personal information unless otherwise allowed by law; and
- The right to be free from discrimination for exercising the above rights.
For additional information on whether these rights may apply to you, or to exercise these rights, please send an email to email@example.com or write us at:
Freedom Solar LLC
Attn: Legal Department, Privacy Rights
4801 Freidrich Ln, Suite 100
Austin, TX 78744
California Residents. Although Freedom Solar does not currently conduct residential solar installation operations in California, from time to time we may inadvertently collect the Personal Data of California residents. California residents have certain rights with respect to personal data about them we have collected. If you are a California resident, you may exercise the following rights regarding your Personal Data, subject to certain exceptions and limitations: right to access the Personal Data we have collected about you and learn how we collect this information, our purpose in collecting it, and the types of parties we may have disclosed it to; right to delete your Personal Data; and right to opt-out of our sale(s) of your Personal Data, if applicable. The right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of the relevant privacy rights conferred by the California Consumer Privacy Act at Civil Code § 1798.100. If you are a resident of California, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request information regarding the disclosure of your Personal Data by Freedom Solar to a third party for the third party’s direct marketing purposes. This right granted to California residents applies only to their activities within the State of California. To make such a request, or to opt-out, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or write us at:
Freedom Solar LLC
Attn: Legal Department, Privacy Rights
4801 Freidrich Ln, Suite 100
Austin, TX 78744
Our Digital Products is designed and intended for adults. By accessing and/or using our Digital Products, you represent that you are at least eighteen years old. If we obtain actual knowledge that a user is not at least eighteen years of age, we will promptly delete information associated with that user.
In all events, our Digital Products is not intended for, and we do not knowingly collect information from or otherwise market our website or other materials to children under thirteen years of age. If you are a parent or guardian of a child under the age of thirteen and believe that he or she has disclosed Personal Data to us, please contact us as described in the “Opt Out & Deletion of Information” section below. You may review and request the deletion of your child’s Personal Data or prohibit the further use of such information.
OPT OUT & DELETION OF INFORMATION
You may request to have your Personal Data deleted from our database or opt-out from all Freedom Solar correspondence in the following ways:
You can send email to: email@example.com.
You can write to us at:
Freedom Solar LLC
Attn: Legal Department, Privacy Rights
4801 Freidrich Ln, Suite 100
Austin, TX 78744.
HOW LONG DOES FREEDOM SOLAR KEEP YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
If you request that we delete your Personal Data in accordance with the provisions outlined above, we’ll do our best to carry out your request as soon as possible, but we cannot promise deletion will occur within a specific timeframe. In addition, there may be circumstances where we will not be able to honor your request. For example, if you request 100% deletion, we may still need to retain certain personal information to complete a transaction you initiated, to comply with legal and/or regulatory obligations, to notify you of product, service, or safety issues, to service your already-installed solar system or energy storage device(s), if we become aware of abuse or other violations of our Website terms and conditions in effect from time to time, or for other permitted purposes. If you request that we delete your Personal Data, it may affect our ability to provide you with products and services.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE AND NOTICES
We are of course happy to respond to questions from our customers regarding this Policy or the use or processing of their Personal Data by Freedom Solar. You may contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll do our best to answer your questions as soon as possible.
Freedom Solar, as opposed to any of its officers, employees, or agents in their personal capacities, is solely responsible for all content and information that we post on our Digital Products.