Texas Solar Events
August 11, 2018
This your source for Texas events related to solar power, green energy, eco-friendly living and home improvement, and electric vehicles. We’ll do our best to keep track of events all across the Lone Star State.
- Drive Electric Day, Saturday 15th – CANCELLED due to rain.
- Affordable Infill Tour, Sunday 23rd, 10:30a-5p – Presented by The Alley Flat Initiative.
- Solar Austin Monthly Happy Hour, Wednesday 25th, 5:30p-8p – Listen to a presentation on Valuing Solar and Distributed Energy from Karl Rábago, Executive Director of the Pace Energy and Climate Center (PECC) and network with other Austinite interested in solar. Presented by Solar Austin.
- Building Green Justice Forum, Friday 28th, 8a-4p – Huston-Tillotson is hosting the annual event now in its 4th year, featuring workshops and speakers focused on this year’s theme of “Power, Discourse, and Community.”
- Bluebonnet Solar Tour in Manor, Saturday 29th, 9a-1p – The self-guided solar homes tour and installer fair will start at Lagos Elementary School (11817 Murchison St. in Manor). Free and open to the public with breakfast tacos, coffee, juice, prizes, and kids’ activities. Presented by Bluebonnet Electric Cooperative, Texas Solar Energy Society, and Solar Austin.
- CC4C Run to Uplift, Sunday 30th, 9a – Support children with rare and undiagnosed conditions by registering for the micromarathon or pledging your support. We are welcoming the sponsored children and their families at our SunPower by Freedom Solar design center showroom in the Hill Country Galleria (across from Whole Foods), and a team of employees will be participating in the race!
- State of the Climate and Challenges for Austin, Sunday 30th, 12p-1p – Presentation at the First Unitarian Universalist Church of Austin (4700 Grove Ave, 78756) by 350 Austin about the implications of climate change science for the city of Austin.
- DALLAS – FORT WORTH
- Drive Electric Event – Grapevine, Saturday 15th, 9:30a-1:30p – Celebrate National Drive Electric Week at this free event at Grapevine Mills Mall.
- Going Solar! With Larry Howe Workshop 29th, 1p-2:30p – This introductory overview about of going solar takes place at the Bob Jones Nature Center in and Southlake is presented by the founder of Plano Solar Advocates, a grassroots volunteer group dedicated to spreading solar power. $5 admission.
- Drive Electric Day, Saturday 15th, 9:30a-1:30p – Celebrate National Drive Electric Week at this free event at IKEA Houston (7810 Katy Fwy, 77024).
- Climate Resiliency, Civil Society & Disruptive Change Workshop, Wednesday 25th, 9:30a-4:30p – This training session is presented by the University of Texas – Arlington’s Zero Waste Network and hosted by the Green Building Resource Center at 1002 Washington Avenue 77002.
- Solar Workshop, Thursday 28th, 2p-4p – Get hands-on experience installing a ground-mount system in this technical workshop oriented towards DIYers. Presented by the Houston Renewable Energy Group.
- Solar Party, Thursday 27th, 5-8p – Local citizen Jesus Elizondo offers this opportunity for community members to learn about the benefits of solar power at 336 Balboa Rd in Rancho Viejo.
- SAN ANTONIO
- 32nd Annual Fall Home & Garden Show, Friday 14th – Sunday 16th – Head to the Alamodome to get ideas to improve your home indoors and out, including information about home solar panels!
- Drive Electric Day, Saturday 22nd, 9a-1p – Celebrate National Drive Electric Week at this free event with live music and food vendors. Chat with EV owners and car dealership representatives. Presented by AACOG and Clean Cities at Pearl Brewery’s Farmers Market (312 Pearl Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78215).
- Medium to Large Rainwater Harvesting Workshop, Saturday 29th, 9a-12p – Learn how to take the next step beyond a rain barrel from an ARCSA certified licensed irrigator. Hosted by Eco Centro (1802 N Main St, 78212).
- Power: Providing More Energy for More People While Sustaining Our City and Protecting Our Planet, Tuesday 2nd, 6:15p-7:30p – This free presentation by Austin Energy and The Austin Forum on Technology & Society will take place at the Austin Public Library. Come early for refreshments, stay for networking afterwards, and send your questions in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wimberley Market Days, Saturday 6th, 7a-4p – There’s a little bit of everything, including solar panels from Freedom Solar, at the October Market Day, 601 FM2325 in Wimberley.
- PINK Wine Walk, Thursday 11th, 5p-9p – The free monthly wine walk at the Hill Country Galleria is supporting Susan G. Komen Austin in October for National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Freedom Solar will donate $50 for anyone who gets a solar consultation during October and mentions Komen.
- Native Texas Wildflowers, Lawns, and Ornamental Grasses, Thursday 13th, 2p-4p – George Cates of Native American Seed Company presents this free class at The Natural Gardener preparing, planting, and maintaining native wildflowers & grasses.
- Hill Country Living Festival + Rainwater Revival, Saturday 20th, 10a-5p – This free, family-friendly event at Dripping Springs Ranch Park will include a tiny home showcase, educational speakers, eco-friendly vendors, local artisans, food & wine, live music, and kids’ activities.
- Roots and Wings Festival, Saturday 27th, 9a-2p – This day of fun and unique activities brings together celebrations of Arbor Day and Monarch Appreciation Day. Most of the day’s happenings will take place at Zilker Botanical Garden, with additional activities at satellite events in Patterson Park, Dittmar Park, Alderbrook Park, and Brentwood Park.
- AIA Austin Homes Tour, Saturday 27th – Sunday 28th – The Austin chapter of the American Institute of Architects is hosting its annual tour of the coolest new homes in Austin. Tickets available to purchase on their website.
- Barkitecture 2018, Sunday 28th, 12p-4p – This annual custom doghouse design contest and silent auction at Fair Market (1100 East 5th St 78702) benefits Bastrop Animal Rescue, Emancipet, and PALS. We know that at least one of the doghouses will feature a working solar power system!
- DALLAS – FORT WORTH
- Dallas Solar Tour, Saturday 13th, 10a-4p – Free day of activities including educational presentations, activities, and a self-guided tour of homes and businesses/institutions with solar systems and battery solutions. Presented by North Texas Renewable Energy Group and Texas Solar Energy Society.
- Citizens’ Climate Lobby Grapevine Chapter Meeting, Thursday 18th, 6:30p – Join the monthly meeting of this non-profit, non-partisan, grassroots advocacy organization dedicated to addressing climate change at La Madeleine, 900 W State 114 Hwy, Grapevine.
- Plano WaterWise Landscape Tour, Saturday 20th, 9a-3p – Take a free, self-guided tour through six beautiful, sustainable Plano yards as well as the Environmental Education Center’s demonstration gardens.
- Dallas WaterWise Landscape Tour, Saturday 27th, 9a-1p – This is the 24th annual free, self-guided tour of Dallas landscaping that reduces water use. Presented by City of Dallas Water Utilities and the Dallas County Master Gardener Association. Check the website for the to-be-published tour map.
- Renewable Energy Markets Conference, Tuesday 9th – Thursday 11th – This annual national industry conference organized by Center for Resource Solutions (CRS) is coming to the Marriott Marquis Houston this fall. Early bird tickets available until October 1st.
- Smart Grid Customer Education Symposium, Monday 15th – Event for utility industry professionals at CenterPoint Energy’s corporate headquarters. The chair of the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT) is the keynote speaker.
- SAN ANTONIO
- Rock the Block National Night Out, Tuesday 2nd, 6p-9p – The Valley Ranch SA HOA is hosting its annual National Night Out event that is free and open to the public. “Rock the Block” in the parking lot of Kallison Elementary School with karaoke, carnival games , food trucks, and meet-and-greets with local heroes from the Bexar County Sheriffs Office and Firefighters.
- Home Efficiency Workshop, Wednesday 10th, 6p-8:30p – At William R. Sinkin Eco Centro (1802 North Main St). Get answers to all of your questions about energy efficiency, indoor/outdoor water systems, and HVAC. Learn about CPS rebates for home upgrades including solar power and SAWS rebates for water conservation.
- Texas Water Conservation Association Fall Conference, Wednesday 17th – Friday 19th – Agenda and schedule are available on the TWCA conference website, and the event will include a volunteer service project along the San Pedro Creek.
- San Antonio Fall Home Show, Friday 26th through Sunday 28th – The Freeman Coliseum Expo Hall is home to San Antonio’s last major fall home & garden show of the year. Learn more about rooftop solar power and get tips from local home improvement celebrities. We’ll be at booth 722 – stop by and see our home solar panels!
- Austin Design Week, Monday 5th – Thursday 8th – Annual week-long series of workshops, talks, studio tours and events all around the capital city. Featuring 100 free events this year.
- GTM Power & Renewables Summit, Tuesday 13th and Wednesday 15th – An industry discussion on the impact to the power markets of renewables including solar energy, decarbonization, and increasing capacity and flexibility. Conference takes place at the AT&T Executive Education & Conference Center on the University of Texas at Austin campus. Registration available on the GTM website.
- Solar Business Festival Conference, Tuesday 27th – Wednesday 28th – Taking place at the Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol, the third annual event invites Texas solar industry professionals to attend sessions on storage, microgrids, project financing, PACE programs, power purchase agreements, sustainable buildings, smart grid, utility integration, community solar, policies and regulatory framework, incentives and goals, and market growth opportunities.
- DALLAS – FORT WORTH
- Texas Climate Change Tour, Thursday 8th and Friday 9th, 6:30p – Public Citizen hosts this city-by-city presentation about the effects of the earth’s rising temperatures on life, property and the economy in the Lone Star state. The tour stops in Dallas on Thursday at Brookhaven College (Spindletop Room in Building H) and in Fort Worth on Friday at the Fort Worth Botanic Gardens.
- Advocating Resilience through Environmental and Social Solutions (AdRESS) Workshop, Monday 5th – Tuesday 6th – This multidisciplinary workshop on community resilience at the Minute Maid Park Conference Center aims to connect conversations on water and energy reliability, building design, food security, mobility and transportation, access to financing and critical resources, and government policy.
- SAN ANTONIO
- Home Efficiency Workshop, Wednesday 7th, 6p-8:30p – Hosted by Eco Centro at 1802 North Main St. Get answers to all of your questions about energy efficiency rebates, solar power rebates, sustainable landscapes, ventilation, insulation, and more.
- Society for Ecological Restoration Texas 23rd Annual Conference, Friday 9th – Sunday 11th – San Antonio River Authority (100 East Guenther St, ) hosts this three-day event on “Making Restoration Work in Texas.” Agenda and registration available at the TXSERA website.
- SolarFest, Saturday 17th, 10a-4p – Join this family-friendly day fun and learning at the Hemisfair with live music, local artisans, food trucks, and engaging activities celebrating renewable energy, energy efficiency and the Alamo City!
- The Alley Flat Initiative Housewarming, Saturday 8th, 4-6p – Visit this car garage conversion that preserved existing gardens to minimize storm water runoff at 1406 B Ruth Avenue. It will provide affordable housing in the Brentwood neighborhood.
With the weather finally starting to cool down across Texas, fall is peak season for all kinds of events and outdoor activities.
While the Freedom Solar installation team is keeping busy up on rooftops six days a week, our Energy Consultants are making plans to pop up at events across the state in the upcoming weeks.
Check out the calendar below for more details, and feel free to stop by any of these events to chat with us. Whether you’re a Freedom Solar customer or just starting to think about solar, we look forward to talking with you!
- Thursday 10/26, 5pm-9pm – Shops & Hops, a shopping and craft beer tasting event at the Hill Country Galleria in Bee Cave. Our Austin Solar Design Center is an official stop on the tour (yes, that means we’ll have beer!). You can RSVP on Facebook.
- Sunday 10/29, 10am-2pm – Come check out the fall harvest specials at Lone Star Farmer’s Market in Bee Cave (get the latest on Facebook). While you’re there, stop by our booth to say hello.
- Wednesday 11/8, 6:30pm-8:30pm – Austin Design Week 2017 is hosting a free “Home of the Future” workshop exploring visionary houses from the past to the present (which of course means a discussion about solar!) at Umlauf Sculpture Garden.
- Thursday 11/9, 5pm-9pm – The Hill Country Galleria is hosting their monthly Wine Walk, and we’re an official stop. Start at Twin Liquors to pick up your map, and we’ll see you at our Solar Design Center for wine and snacks.
- Sunday 11/12, 10am-2pm – We had such a great time talking to folks at Lone Star Farmer’s Market in October that we’re coming back again. If you’re near Bee Cave on Sunday, stop by and shop some “locally grown” solar!
- Sunday 10/29, 1pm-4pm – Come out and try some delicious Check out the new solar array on Pizza Foundation at 305 South Spring St. We’ll be on-hand to answer questions, and the first 10 people who sign up for a free solar consultation will get a free large pizza!
- SAN ANTONIO
- Saturday 11/4, 10am-4pm – Build San Antonio Green is hosting the 17th annual Solar Fest at Roosevelt Park on the Mission Reach. Local live music, food trucks, kids activities, lots of local companies including Freedom Solar, and even yoga with Spurs Jesus. Find us at our booth and let’s chat about solar!