How Much Do Solar Panels Cost in Houston?
April 1, 2021
If you live in the sunny city of Houston, Texas, you couldn’t be in a better spot for solar power. The Texan metropolis is a leader in the solar energy revolution.
In fact, Google named Houston a top U.S. city for rooftop solar potential. Houston has also committed to providing 100% renewable energy for all municipal operations.
Solar panels are seeing tremendous growth as more Americans choose to power their homes with energy from the sun. And it’s no wonder why! Harnessing the sun’s power is the first step toward a future of clean, sustainable electricity and drastically reduced energy bills.
Solar Panel Installation Costs
So, how much does a Houston solar panel installation cost? The truth is that it depends on many factors. These include your location, your area’s energy costs, your personal energy use and your system’s size.
However, when you’re considering such an important purchase, it’s important to be financially prepared. The average Houstonian can expect to pay about $40,000 for a 10 kilowatt (kW) residential SunPower system. However, that doesn’t include the tax credits and local rebates that we’ll cover below!
That average cost covers all necessary solar installation parts, including the following:
- Solar panels
- Mounting equipment
- Conduit and other components
- Installation labor
- Project management, including HOA approvals, permitting and inspections
Ready for some great news?
Thanks to a record-breaking surge in U.S. installations, the cost of going solar is now lower than ever. Solar energy is shaping up to be cost-competitive with the electricity that your local utility company sells. Furthermore, Houston offers numerous rebates and incentives to help make going solar more affordable for everyone.
Keep reading to learn more! We’ll cover the full spectrum of solar panel incentives available at the federal, state and local levels for your Houston home.
Financial Incentives To Help You Save
No matter where you live, you can take advantage of countless solar incentives designed to make solar more affordable. Here are a few rebate types:
- Local rebates. Cities and states offer unique incentives, like rebates and credits, to help offset the cost of solar — and they’re available to local residents only.
- Federal rebates. Thanks to the federal solar tax credit, homeowners can deduct 30% of the cost of installing a solar energy system from their federal taxes.
- Manufacturer rebates. Certain solar panel manufacturers offer limited time-only rebates with your installation.
- Promotions. Depending on when you purchase your solar panels, you may be eligible for promotions that make your installation more affordable.
Saving Money With Local Rebates
To encourage the widespread use of solar energy, governments and utility providers nationwide offer solar tax breaks and financial incentives to make solar as affordable as possible. Although Texas doesn’t have a state-led solar tax credit or solar rebate program, there are still plenty of Houston solar incentives available!
These types of incentives lower the cost of your Houston home’s solar panel installation:
- Utility providers. Green Mountain Energy gives Houston solar power users a rebate that varies by system size. It ranges from $500 to $5,625, with an average value of $3,275.
- Property tax exemption. Unlike other states, which increase property taxes after you complete a residential solar panel installation, Texas doesn’t increase property values for solar owners. As a result, Houston homeowners continue to save money burden-free throughout their installation’s lifetime.
- Net metering. You can choose your power provider in Houston, and most offer net metering. This billing agreement between you and your utility provider sends your unused electricity back to the grid and gives you credits on your energy bill in exchange. When your solar panels aren’t producing enough electricity to meet your energy needs (like at night or on cloudy days), you can tap into those credits to offset your monthly utility bills.
Saving Money With Federal Rebates
If you’re thinking about switching to sustainable energy for your home, the federal government wants to help.
The solar investment tax credit (ITC) helps subsidize the purchase and installation of solar panel systems for U.S. homeowners. Although it was set to expire in 2023, the Inflation Reduction Act extended it by a decade. Now, it’ll continue at a rate of 30% through 2032, helping make solar power more affordable for homeowners.
The credit reduces to 26% in 2033 and to 22% in 2034.
Saving Money With Manufacturer Rebates
Manufacturers want to make it easy for homeowners like you to go solar. SunPower periodically offers rebates of up to $1,000 to help reduce your solar panel installation costs. Contact us to see which manufacturer rebates you can take advantage of when you’re ready to make the switch.
Saving Money With Promotions
Looking for more ways to offset the cost of your Houston solar panel installation? At Freedom Solar, we work to help our customers save money via a variety of promotions throughout the year. Contact us to learn more about our current promotions.
Ready to Join the Solar Revolution?
From drastically reducing energy bills to eliminating dependence on dirty energy suppliers, going solar is a smart choice for so many reasons. Best of all, these solar financial incentives help make your switch to clean, sustainable energy simpler and more affordable.
To get started, call us at (800) 504-2337 or fill out our inquiry form. Our solar experts will offer a free consultation to kick-start your journey to solar power for your Houston home!