How Much Do Solar Panels Cost In Houston?
April 1, 2021
If you live in the sunny city of Houston, Texas, you couldn’t be in a better spot for solar power. The Texan metropolis is a leader in the solar energy revolution. In fact, Google named Houston a top US city for rooftop solar potential, and the city has committed to providing 100% renewable energy for all municipal operations.
Solar panels are seeing tremendous growth as an increasing number of Americans choose to power their homes with energy from the sun — and it’s no wonder why. Harnessing the power of the sun is the first step to not only a future of clean, sustainable electricity but drastically reduced energy bills, too.
So how much does a solar panel installation cost? The truth is that it depends on many factors, including your location, energy costs in your area, your personal energy use, and the size of your system.
However, when you’re considering such an important purchase, it’s important to be financially prepared. The average Houstonian can expect to pay about $40,000 for a 10 kilowatt (kW) residential SunPower system, which doesn’t include the tax credits and local rebates that we’ll cover below. That average cost covers all necessary parts, including:
- Solar panels
- Mounting equipment
- Conduit and other components
- Installation labor
- Project management, including HOA approvals, permitting, and inspections
Ready for some great news? Thanks to a record-breaking surge in US installations, the cost of going solar is now lower than ever. Solar energy is shaping up to be cost competitive with the electricity sold by your local utility company. Best of all, the city of Houston offers countless rebates and incentives to help make going solar more affordable for all. Keep reading as we cover the full spectrum of solar incentives available at the federal, state, and local levels for your Houston home.
Financial Incentives to Help You Save
No matter where you live, you can take advantage of countless solar incentives that are designed to help make solar more affordable, including:
- Local rebates. Cities and states offer unique incentives, such as rebates and credits, to help offset the cost of solar — and they’re only available to local residents.
- Federal rebates. Thanks to the federal solar tax credit, homeowners can deduct 26 percent of the cost of installing a solar energy system from their federal taxes.
- Manufacturer rebates. Certain solar panel manufacturers will offer limited-time-only rebates with your installation.
- Promotions. Depending on when you purchase your solar panels, you’ll be eligible for promotions that will help make your installation more affordable.
Saving Money with Local Rebates
To encourage the widespread use of solar energy, governments and utility providers across the country offer various solar tax breaks and financial incentives to make solar as affordable as possible. And although Texas doesn’t have a state-led solar tax credit or solar rebate program, there are still plenty of Houston solar incentives available to help you lower the cost of your home’s solar panel installation.
- Utility providers. Green Mountain Energy gives Houston solar power users a rebate that varies by system size; it ranges between $500 and $5,625 with an average value of $3,275.
- Property tax exemption. Unlike other states, which increase property taxes after a residential solar panel installation is completed, Texas does not increase property values for solar owners. As a result of this exemption, Houston homeowners will continue to save money, without burden, throughout the lifetime of their installation.
- Net metering. In Houston you can choose your power provider, and most of them offer net metering. This billing agreement between you and your utility provider sends your unused electricity back to the grid, giving you credits on your energy bill in exchange. During the times when your solar panels aren’t producing enough electricity to meet your energy needs (at night or on cloudy days), you can tap into those net metering credits to offset your monthly utility bill.
Saving Money with Federal Rebates
If you’re thinking about making the switch to sustainable energy for your home, the federal government wants to help. The Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) helps subsidize the purchase and installation of a solar panel system for homeowners throughout the United States. Although it was set to expire in 2021, recent federal legislation just extended this incredible financial incentive as part of a clean energy package. It will continue at a rate of 26% through 2023, helping more make solar power more affordable for homeowners.
Saving Money with Manufacturer Rebates
Manufacturers want to make it easy for homeowners like you to go solar. SunPower periodically offers rebates of up to $1,000 to help reduce your solar panel installation costs. Contact us to see which manufacturer rebates you can take advantage when you’re ready to make the switch.
Saving Money with Promotions
Looking for more ways to offset the cost of your solar installation? Freedom Solar works to help our customers save money through a variety of promotions throughout the year. Contact us to learn more about our current promotions.
Ready to Join the Solar Revolution?
From drastically reducing your energy bills to eliminating dependence on dirty energy suppliers, there are so many reasons why going solar is a smart choice. Best of all, these solar financial incentives will help make your switch to clean, sustainable energy simpler and more affordable than ever. To get started, contact us for a free consultation, and our solar expert representatives will help you begin the journey to solar power for your Houston home.